We came into this world receiving baths from our parents. Fast forward a couple decades and now we have turned into adults that are so busy running around adulting that we usually neglect many things. Things like doing the laundry, calling our mothers (sorry mom!) and of course…we neglect ourselves! Fortunately enough, when it comes to self care, we get a chance to tune out all the noise and focus on what’s most important… our mental, emotional and physical health. And what better way to tune out the daily noise than to grab a glass of wine, a good book or some chill music and run a bath.
Something as simple as hot bath has loads of benefits for our bodies:
1. Lower blood pressure: We all know being black, young and smart can give you high blood pressure. Hot baths, spas and saunas help to decrease blood pressure by opening/relaxing the walls of blood vessels, a process known as vasodilation.
2. Stress relief: It is proven hot baths can help relieve anxiety and cope more effectively with life changes. Your skin releases endorphins in response to the soothing warm water the same way that endorphins are released when you feel the sun on your skin. This can be both therapeutic and rejuvenating.
3. Improve your immune system: If you are feeling sick…run a hot bath to elevate your body temperature to help you fight off any illness. One of the simplest and most relaxing ways to detox is with a bath that combines a few extra natural ingredients
4. Curing Aches and Pains: Warm water helps to speed up the expulsion of lactic acid, which relaxes pulled muscles and strains.
5. Improves sleep: A hot bath before bed can help to relax your mind, body and helps you sleep longer and better. A study at The University of Texas at Austin found that taking a hot bath about 90 minutes before bed could help people fall asleep more quickly.